Health & Safety Manager
Job Title: Health & Safety Manager
Location: Stafford (Head Office)
Westgate Global are market leaders in screening and partitioning solutions. Specialising in design, supply and installation since 1977, Westgate Global have over 40 years’ experience from concept to completion working with large brands across the UK and Europe. We cover a wide range of sectors including manufacturing; automotive and aerospace, disposables, pharmaceutical, food, beverage, and general manufacturing; warehousing and logistics; construction and fit out.
Westgate Global is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community.
The Health & Safety (H&S) Manager role will be part of an ambitious business that has exciting growth plans and is critical to ensure that we continue to have a safe and healthy work environment. With employees based in the Head Office location and remotely to remain fully compliant we are looking for someone who can work at pace from a running start. This includes being forward looking, identifying where change is required, and driving it to a successful conclusion.
We are looking for a highly driven, capable, health & safety professional who can provide assurance to the senior team that the Company is fully compliant with all health and safety regulations and standards. This role works closely with the senior leadership team to ensure the business drives Health, Safety & Environmental and compliance improvements by designing & delivering the health safety & environmental agenda across the business.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Ensure compliance with legal health and safety regulations, standards, and legal compliance – in addition to creating effective processes and systems across the whole of the Company estate and on-site.
- Develop, update, and implement health and safety policies and procedures specific to office, warehouse, and worksite environment.
- Coordinate and conduct safety training sessions for employees and contractors, including new employee inductions and ongoing safety education, including to line mangers within the Company. This includes owning and managing a H&S training matrix across the business.
- Investigate accidents, incidents, and near misses, and recommend corrective actions to prevent recurrence.
- Create and manage systems to ensure legal compliance in all areas, providing relevant reports to senior managers and external bodies e.g., the HSE.
- Collaborate with line management to ensure H&S culture is included as part of employees quarterly appraisals, with supporting evidence required when appropriate.
- Develop and maintain emergency response plans and coordinate regular testing for example the Company evacuation procedure and regular testing of equipment etc.
- Conduct regular safety inspections at all company locations and worksites, identifying hazards and ensuring corrective actions are taken.
- Maintain and analyse safety records and reports and communicate key findings to senior management.
- Provide content and evaluation for customer Pre-Qualification Questionnaire’s.
- Lead on Occupational Health for the Company and ensure the availability and proper functioning of safety equipment and personal protective gear.
- Deliver on the standards and environmental commitments in line with the company strategy, leading the cultural change across the business.
- Perform multi-purpose risk assessments to identify potential hazards and implement strategies to mitigate risks, correctly documenting and communicating these to all relevant stakeholders.
- Collaborate and lead with safety committees and safety representatives across different locations.
- Remain up to date with changes in safety regulations and legislation and communicate these changes to relevant stakeholders.
- Lead the company’s progressive improvement, delivering best practise & developing a positive health & safety culture throughout the workforce
- As lead of H&S within Westgate Global, oversee direct and indirect employees who have a H&S role within the Company and promote a strong safety culture throughout the organisation, encouraging employee participation and engagement.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Significant experience of leading a successful Health and Safety function, whilst being a highly driven self-performer, to behave as a supportive team player building excellent working relationships with others.
- A relevent H&S qualification at least level 5, a NEBOSH qualification required with a National Diploma in OHS Management Professionals preferred, with current accreditation and membership within the sector, with self-management and ownership of continuous professional development (CPD).
- The ability to be calm under pressure and achieve the right outcomes within the required timeframes.
- A working Knowledge of ISO 9001 (Quality), ISO 14001 (Environmental) & ISO 45001, experience of practical & documented management of H&S.
- A practical’s led understanding of applying all relevant compliance with DSEAR, PUWER, Construction/Site Safety, COSHH, RAMS, LOTO and Hot Works
- An awareness and practical experience of overseeing different aspects of the H&S function working closely with senior managers and corporate functions such as HR and Administration.
- Significant experience of establishing, monitoring, and delivering, excellent compliant safety management systems, including risk management, incident investigation and fire safety etc.
- A high level of expertise in leading the H&S function, challenging others, holding others to account, and demonstrating personal accountability.
- Highly developed communication and influencing skills, being able to communicate at levels, adopting the style of communication of the Company, and actively living the company values.
- Show significant leadership and management skills experience, a role model to others, mentoring and coaching others in their duties around H&S within their role.
- The ability to not accept the status quo whist developing and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships with colleagues that create a healthy and safe place to work.
- Construction site H&S experience is a bonus but not essential.
- Friendly working environment with strong employee engagement, and automatic enrolment onto company bonus scheme (after probationary period completed).
- On-site free staff parking
- Automatic enrolment into our contribution workplace pension plan and Medical Insurance Scheme (dependent upon eligibility)
- Automatic enrolment into our BUPA Employee Assistance Programme